About Me

My photo
A lover of the liberal arts, especially antiquity in its diverse forms, I am nonetheless wholly devoted to, utterly transformed by divine revelation. I seek to know the thought of the past, articulate my deepest longings aroused by the wise, and understand the uneasy relationship between reason and revelation; all for the sake of proper action and contemplation, both now and in the future.

12.29.2009

In Which I Choke Upon My Foot

To those who know of my anime interests, I appear a "purist" - I watch anime in Japanese and in Japanese only. Until now, I have condemned dubbing as moronic and a waste of my valuable time. Even the dubbing of Miyazaki's films did not please me. I have always defended the superiority of Japanese voice acting and did not even think it possible for an American dub to be remotely equal to Japanese audio and subtitles.

So imagine my surprise when I watched Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and preferred the dub to Japanese! I still cannot quite believe it, but I really do prefer the English-speaking actors, especially with respect to the Tachikoma. The Chief in particular is excellent in English and it really does enhance the experience of watching if one must not spend a second reading the subtitles, especially in a wordy series like Ghost in the Shell.

At any rate, I enjoyed the series and am watching its sequel, Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd Gig, and afterwords I shall watch the third film, Solid State Society. That shall sate my science fiction side, I think, and I shall be ready to move onto a new semester and a new series.

I do so love the Tachikoma.

No comments: